The ability to build trust in those we lead is critical to our success as a leader. Here are five practices that leaders can engage in to help build trust:
1. Align your interests with those of the people you're leading. Show them that achieving your goals will also help them achieve their goals.
2. Demonstrate benevolent concern for those you lead. Let them know, in both thought and action, that you care.
3. Develop and demonstrate competency. Show them that you do know what you're doing.
4. Create a track record of predictability and integrity. Paint a consistent picture for them with your actions of who you are and what you stand for.
5. Communicate often, openly and clearly. Keep them informed on a timely basis.
Welcome to the Summer Camp Leadership blog. For those of us who lead summer camps, making a positive difference in the lives of young people is our passion. Turning that passion into a reality, however, takes more than the ability to lead songs, teach archery or plan craft projects. Creating camp experiences that truly transform lives takes leadership. Leadership that creates a vision for the future, leadership that inspires and engages others, leadership that remains focused and stays the course. My hope is through this blog you'll find ideas, inspiration and tools to help you be a great summer camp leader.