Storytelling is a powerful tool in training staff, whether in formal classroom settings or informally. The stories we choose to tell, the "moral" of the story and how we interpret the story to others can have a powerful impact on the culture of our camp. Why is storytelling such a powerful communication tool? According to the Association for Talent Development, storytelling allows you to:
1. Make presentations more fascinating, compelling and memorable.
2. Challenge people without coming across as confrontational.
3. Open people's minds to new possibilities in ways that direct approaches cannot.
4. Make your ideas and recommendations more understandable, compelling and memorable.
5. Make new concepts and complex ideas understandable to the novice.
As you plan staff training consider where you can add stories to introduce, explain and reinforce the material you're covering.
Welcome to the Summer Camp Leadership blog. For those of us who lead summer camps, making a positive difference in the lives of young people is our passion. Turning that passion into a reality, however, takes more than the ability to lead songs, teach archery or plan craft projects. Creating camp experiences that truly transform lives takes leadership. Leadership that creates a vision for the future, leadership that inspires and engages others, leadership that remains focused and stays the course. My hope is through this blog you'll find ideas, inspiration and tools to help you be a great summer camp leader.