The Center for Creative Leadership's research highlights three gifts we can take away from hardships. They include:
- Greater insight into what makes you tick. Increasing your self awareness makes you more equipped to make better decisions next time.
- Increased compassion for others. Greater humility and sympathy make you more effective in dealing with others.
- Resilience. Getting through tough times means you'll be stronger and more capable next time hard times come along.
How do learn from hardships? Try these strategies:
- Don't let the hardship be everything. Don't let them overwhelm you. Take time away. Focus some time of what's going right.
- Don't be ashamed of failures or mistakes. If we're not making mistakes we're not pushing ourselves and our organizations.
- Avoid defensiveness. Own the problem and then focus on next steps and solutions.
- Keep asking questions. What happened? Why? What part did I play?
- Reflect and look back to discover the lessons from your experience. What did I miss? What could I have done differently?