A 2018 study of 25,000 employees identified the top five reasons employees leave. They include:
- Poor management performance
- Lack of employee recognition
- Overworked employees
- Company culture not a priority
- No growth opportunities
In looking at the reasons on the list, the reality is they all point in one direction...to us as leaders. They reinforce the axiom that employees don't leave organizations, they leave bosses. Think about where you and the other leaders in your organization are in relationship to these reasons employees leave.
- Are you the kind of leaders people want to work for?
- Do you consistently recognize employees in meaningful ways?
- Are you realistic in what you ask of employees?
- Do you have a clearly defined culture that you actively promote?
- Are you creating opportunities for employees to grow and develop?